Last Updated: June 24, 2019
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING “I ACCEPT”, OR BY USING THE SERVICES, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS (together, the “Terms”). If you are not eligible or do not agree to the Terms, then you do not have our permission to use the Services.
If you are a resident of the United States, these Terms provide that all disputes between you and Lockly will be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract, except for matters that may be taken to small claims court. Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury, and your claims cannot be brought as a class action. Please review Section 18 (“Dispute Resolution and Arbitration”) for the details regarding your agreement to arbitrate any disputes with Lockly.
- Lockly Services Overview. Lockly provides products and services to help secure homes and digital devices.
- Eligibility. You must be at least 13 years of age to use the Services. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that: (a) you are at least 13 years of age; (b) you have not previously been suspended or removed from the Services, and (c) your registration and your use of the Services is in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. If you are using the Services on behalf of an entity, organization, or company, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to bind that organization to these Terms and you agree to be bound by these Terms on behalf of that organization.
- License Grant. Subject to these Terms, Lockly grants you a non-transferable, non-exclusive right (without the right to sublicense) to access and use the Services by installing and using the Applications solely on your own handheld mobile device solely for the purpose of controlling and monitoring the Devices installed on your property, or that you have been validly authorized to access. You agree to comply with all instructions, usage rules and documentation that we may provide from time to time with respect to the Service.
- Account and Registration. To access certain features of the Services, you may register for an account. When you register for an account, you may be required to provide us with some information about yourself, such as your email address or other contact information. You agree that the information you provide to us is accurate and that you will keep it accurate and up-to-date at all times. When you register, you will be asked to provide a password. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password, and you accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account. If you have reason to believe that your account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- System Requirements. The Services may not be accessible without: (i) a working cellular data connection on a support mobile device, (ii) a valid user account, and (iii) a working Wi-Fi network that is positioned to communicate reliably with the Devices. If you do not have the system requirements for accessing the Services, you will not be able to use them. We may provide a physical key for use with a Device, but if you do not have the physical key, and do not have the system requirements for accessing the Services, you may be unable to use the Device and gain access to or be able to exit the premises on which the Device is installed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have all required system elements and that they are compatible, up to date, and properly configured. You acknowledge that the Services and the Device may not work as described when the system requirements and compatibility have not been met.
- Payment. Access to the Services, or to certain features of the Services, may require you to pay fees. Before you pay any fees, you will have an opportunity to review and accept the fees that you will be charged. All fees are in U.S. dollars and are non-refundable, unless otherwise provided. If Lockly changes the fees for the Services, including by adding additional fees or charges, Lockly will provide you advance notice of those changes. If you do not accept the changes, Lockly may discontinue providing the Services to you. Lockly will charge the payment method you specify at the time of purchase. You authorize Lockly to charge all sums as described in these Terms, for the Services you select, to that payment method. If you pay any fees with a credit card, Lockly may seek pre-authorization of your credit card account prior to your purchase to verify that the credit card is valid and has the necessary funds or credit available to cover your purchase. If you use the Services to update or cancel any existing payment, it may take up to 10 business days for the update or cancellation to take effect.
Prohibited Conduct. BY USING THE SERVICES YOU AGREE NOT TO:
- use the Services for any illegal purpose or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
- violate, or encourage others to violate, any right of a third party, including by infringing or misappropriating any third party intellectual property right;
- interfere with security-related features of the Services, including by: (a) disabling or circumventing features that prevent or limit use or copying of any content; or (b) reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to discover the source code of any portion of the Services except to the extent that the activity is expressly permitted by applicable law;
- interfere with the operation of the Services or any user’s enjoyment of the Services, including by: (a) uploading or otherwise disseminating any virus, adware, spyware, worm, or other malicious code; (b) making any unsolicited offer or advertisement to another user of the Services; (c) attempting to collect personal information about another user or third party without consent; or (d) interfering with or disrupting any network, equipment, or server connected to or used to provide the Services, or violating any regulation, policy, or procedure of any such network, equipment, or server;
- perform any fraudulent activity including impersonating any person or entity, claiming a false affiliation, accessing any other Services account without permission, or falsifying your age or date of birth;
- sell or otherwise transfer the access granted under these Terms or any Materials (as defined in Section 11) or any right or ability to view, access, or use any Material; or
- attempt to do any of the acts described in this Section 7, or assist or permit any person in engaging in any of the acts described in this Section 7.
- Termination of Use; Discontinuation and Modification of the Services. If you violate any provision of these Terms, your permission from us to use the Services will terminate automatically. In addition, Lockly may in its sole discretion terminate your use of the Services or suspend or terminate your access to the Services at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. We also reserve the right to modify or discontinue the Services at any time (including by limiting or discontinuing certain features of the Services), temporarily or permanently, without notice to you. We will have no liability whatsoever on account of any change to the Services or any suspension or termination of your access to or use of the Services. You may terminate your access to or use of the Services by uninstalling the Services.
- Additional Terms. Your use of the Services is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Services or certain features of the Services that We may post on or link to from the Services (the “Additional Terms”), such as end-user license agreements for any downloadable software applications, or rules that apply to a particular feature or content on the Services, subject to Section 10 All Additional Terms are incorporated by this reference into and made a part of, these Terms.
- Modification of these Terms. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time. If we do so, we will notify you by email, or by a prominent notice on our website homepage or by a prominent notice inside the application window. Please check this link periodically for changes. By continuing to use the Services after any such notice constitutes your consent to and agreement to be bound by the new terms. If you do not agree to the revised terms, please stop using the Services and uninstall the application. IF AT ANY TIME YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL THE TERMS CONTAINED IN THESE TERMS, YOU MUST STOP USING THE SERVICES.
- Ownership; Proprietary Rights. The Services are owned and operated by Lockly. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Services (“Materials”) provided by Lockly are protected by intellectual property and other laws. All Materials contained in the Services are the property of Lockly or our third-party licensors. Except as expressly authorized by Lockly, you may not make use of the Materials. Lockly reserves all rights to the Materials not granted expressly in these Terms.
- Feedback. If you choose to provide input and suggestions regarding problems with or proposed modifications or improvements to the Services (“Feedback”), then you hereby grant Lockly an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free right to exploit the Feedback in any manner and for any purpose, including to improve the Services and create other products and services.
- Indemnity. You are responsible for your use of the Services, and you will defend and indemnify Lockly and its officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, subsidiaries and agents (together, the “Lockly Entities”) from and against every claim, liability, damage, loss, and expense, including reasonable attorneys' fees and costs, arising out of or in any way connected with: (a) your access to, use of, or alleged use of, the Services; (b) your violation of any portion of these Terms, any representation, warranty, or agreement referenced in these Terms, or any applicable law or regulation; (c) your violation of any third-party right, including any intellectual property right or publicity, confidentiality, other property, or privacy, right; or (d) any dispute or issue between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you (without limiting your indemnification obligations with respect to that matter), and in that case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of that claim.
Disclaimers; No Warranties
THE SERVICES AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. THE LOCKLY ENTITIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, RELATING TO THE SERVICES AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICES, INCLUDING: (A) ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT; AND (B) ANY WARRANTY ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE. THE LOCKLY ENTITIES DO NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICES, OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT OFFERED THROUGH THE SERVICES, WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, AND DO NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THOSE ISSUES WILL BE CORRECTED.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SERVICES OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICES WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING ANY OF THE LOCKLY ENTITIES OR THE SERVICES THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM YOUR USE OF OR ACCESS TO THE SERVICES, YOUR DEALING WITH ANY OTHER SERVICES USER, AND ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICES. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE THE SERVICES, AND USE, ACCESS, DOWNLOAD, OR OTHERWISE OBTAIN MATERIALS OR CONTENT THROUGH THE SERVICES AND ANY ASSOCIATED SITES OR SERVICES, AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR PROPERTY (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES), OR THE LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICES OR THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF THAT MATERIAL OR CONTENT.
SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY PROHIBIT A DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND YOU MAY HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL THE LOCKLY ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, OR ANY OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SERVICES OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ANY LOCKLY ENTITY HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE.
THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE LOCKLY ENTITIES TO YOU FOR ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR ANY INABILITY TO USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICES OR OTHERWISE UNDER THESE TERMS, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, IS LIMITED TO THE GREATER OF: (A) THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID TO LOCKLY FOR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICES IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE EVENT(S) OR CIRCUMSTANCES GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM; OR (B) $100.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
EACH PROVISION OF THESE TERMS THAT PROVIDES FOR A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, OR EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES IS INTENDED TO AND DOES ALLOCATE THE RISKS BETWEEN THE PARTIES UNDER THESE TERMS. THIS ALLOCATION IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. EACH OF THESE PROVISIONS IS SEVERABLE AND INDEPENDENT OF ALL OTHER PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION 15 WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
- Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of California without regard to conflict of law principles. However, the courts in some countries will not apply California law to some types of disputes. If you reside in one of those countries, then where California law is excluded from applying, your country’s laws will apply to such disputes related to these terms. If a lawsuit or court proceeding is permitted under these Terms, then you and Lockly agree to submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located within San Francisco, California for the purpose of litigating any dispute.
- General. These Terms, together with any other agreements expressly incorporated by reference into these Terms, are the entire and exclusive understanding and agreement between you and Lockly regarding your use of the Services. Except as expressly permitted above, these Terms may be amended only by a written agreement signed by authorized representatives of all parties to these Terms. You may not assign or transfer these Terms or your rights under these Terms, in whole or in part, by operation of law or otherwise, without our prior written consent. We may assign these Terms at any time without notice or consent. The failure to require performance of any provision will not affect our right to require performance at any other time after that, nor will a waiver by us of any breach or default of these Terms, or any provision of these Terms, be a waiver of any subsequent breach or default or a waiver of the provision itself. Use of section headers in these Terms is for convenience only and will not have any impact on the interpretation of any provision. If any part of these Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable, the unenforceable part will be given effect to the greatest extent possible, and the remaining parts will remain in full force and effect. Upon termination of these Terms, Sections 1, 2, 4, 5 and 9 through 21, along with any other accompanying agreements, will survive.
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
- Generally. If you are a resident of the United States, then this Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Section applies to you. In the interest of resolving disputes between you and Lockly in the most expedient cost-effective manner, you and Lockly agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. This agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND LOCKLY ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.
- Exceptions. Despite the provisions of Section 1, nothing in these Terms will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit the right of either party to: (a) bring an individual action in small claims court; (b) pursue an enforcement action through the applicable federal, state, or local agency if that action is available; (c) seek injunctive relief in a court of law; or (d) to file suit in a court of law to address an intellectual property infringement claim.
- Arbitrator. Any arbitration between you and Lockly will be referred to and resolved binding arbitration administered under the rules of the American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Notice; Process. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send a written notice of the dispute to the other party by certified or registered mail or by internationally recognized overnight courier Services (return receipt or signature required) or, only if such other party has not provided a current physical address, then by electronic mail (“Notice”). Lockly’s address for Notice is: 555 California Street, Suite 4925, San Francisco, California. The Notice must: (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (“Demand”). The parties will make good faith efforts to resolve the claim directly, but if the parties do not reach an agreement to do so within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or Lockly may commence an arbitration proceeding. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by you or Lockly must not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator makes a final decision and award if any. If the dispute is finally resolved through arbitration in your favor, Lockly will pay you the highest of the following: (i) the amount awarded by the arbitrator, if any; (ii) the last written settlement amount offered by Lockly in settlement of the dispute prior to the arbitrator’s award; or (iii) $1,000.
- Fees. If you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, Lockly will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee, unless your claim is for more than $10,000, in which case the payment of any fees will be decided under the rules of American Arbitration Association (AAA). Any arbitration hearing will take place at a location to be agreed upon in California, but if the claim is for $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted: (a) solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator; (b) through a non-appearance based telephone hearing; or (c) by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules in the county (or parish) of your billing address. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose, then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In that case, you agree to reimburse Lockly for all monies previously disbursed by it that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator must issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
- No Class Actions. YOU AND LOCKLY AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and Lockly agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
- Modifications of This Arbitration Provision. If Lockly makes any future change to this arbitration provision, other than a change to Lockly's address for Notice, you may reject the change by sending Us written notice within 30 days of the change to Lockly's address for Notice, in which case your access to or use of the Services will be immediately terminated and this arbitration provision, as in effect immediately prior to the changes you rejected will survive.
- Enforceability. If Section 6 is found to be unenforceable or if the entirety of this Section 18 is found to be unenforceable, then the entirety of this Section 18 will be null and void and, in that case, the parties agree that the exclusive jurisdiction and venue described in Section 16 will govern any action arising out of or related to these Terms.
- Consent to Electronic Communications. By using the Services, you consent to receiving certain electronic communications from us. You agree that any notices, agreements, disclosures, or other communications that we send to you electronically will satisfy any legal communication requirements, including that those communications be in writing.
- Contact Information. The Services is offered by Lockly, located at 555 California Street, Suite 4925, San Francisco, California. You may contact Us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Notice Regarding Apple. If you are using our mobile applications on an iOS device, the terms of this Section 21 You acknowledge that these Terms are between you and Lockly only, not with Apple, and Apple is not responsible for the Services or its content. Apple has no obligation to furnish any maintenance or support services with respect to the Services. If the Services fails to conform to any applicable warranty, you may notify Apple and Apple will refund any applicable purchase price for the mobile application to you; and, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Apple has no other warranty obligation with respect to the Services. Apple is not responsible for addressing any claim by you or any third party relating to the Services or your possession or use of the Services, including: (a) product liability claims; (b) any claim that the Services fails to conform to any applicable legal or regulatory requirement; and (c) claims arising under consumer protection or similar legislation. Apple is not responsible for the investigation, defense, settlement or discharge of any third party claim that the Services or your possession and use of the mobile application infringe that third party’s intellectual property rights. You agree to comply with any applicable third party terms when using the Services. Apple and Apple’s subsidiaries are third party beneficiaries of these Terms, and upon your acceptance of these Terms, Apple will have the right (and will be deemed to have accepted the right) to enforce these Terms against you. You hereby represent and warrant that: (i) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a“terrorist supporting” country; and (ii) you are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties.